Friday, July 13, 2012

DIY: $12 headboard

In continuing with our guest bedroom, I wanted a nice bold headboard to set off the room.  I'm finally beginning to understand the "mix n match" style of interior decor, which is HARD for me.  I want a full set of MATCHING furniture.... so the idea of recycling old furniture and mixing designs in one room made my teeth itch to begin with!  However, I am slowly learning to trust my gut reaction with home items.  I LOVE bold colors and bold designs, but always think too much, "oh well that would stand out".  Well darn it!  This room is gonna stand out!  Brian and I spent an afternoon visiting the myriad of thrift and antique stores along the highway, looking for ideas.  We found the most perfect headboard at the "Second Chance Thrift" store.  The best part about it: everything in the store was 50% off!  So the $12 headboard... YES, $6.  Total score!  Along with the headboard, a can of Zinnser 1-2-3 primer, and 2 cans of Black Satin spray paint, and viola!  The perfect headboard for our guest bedroom.

Material Needed:

  • headboard to fit bed (ours is queen, 60" wide)
  • Zinsser 1-2-3 bonding primer (or cover primer)
  • Krylon black satin spray paint
  • wood filler (if applicable)
Step 1: prime the headboard.  Using a decent quality brush, lightly prime over all the surfaces of the headboard.  I chose to prime the entire thing: front, back, underneath areas, everything.  Allow to dry overnight.

 


Step 2: spray paint party!  I used up 2.5 cans of spray paint for this project.  It goes quickly!  Apply a light, but COVERING coat of paint.  Allow to dry for at least an hour.  I would recommend applying a second coat for even coverage.  Avoid spraying too close to the surface to avoid paint runs.


Step 3: Allow to dry and enjoy!



C O S T  B R E A K D O W N :
headboard: $6
2 cans spray paint: $6
primer: free with Ace Hardware coupon
TOTAL = $12

No comments:

Post a Comment